Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Wisconsin TF

I wasn't going to publish anything about this project of mine. The pictures I took were only for my reference. As luck would have it I'm stuck in a hotel room in Quebec city this week with little to do.

So, I've a plan to build a small tractor and I'm using a model called the ''Super D2'' from a company called Gibson as my reference. That peculiar tractor uses the same engine I bough, namely a Wisconsin model ''TF''. Here's a picture of a 1951 ''Super D2''.
I bought the engine from an old farmer dismantling the family farm. Actually, I bought a mobile gas powered welder. The welder itself is mostly burnt out on the inside so unusable but the trailer was a nice bonus. Here it is then, a Wisconsin ''TF'' in all its glory.
Before starting it there are a few things to take care of. The engine hasn't run in over ten years but the oil seems clean and everything that should rotate does so, still, I want to go over the carburettor, fuel pump, magneto a governor at a minimum.

The Carburettor
Once I took off the carburettor it was obvious that there was a lot of play in the throttle shaft assembly. That and anything made of rubber was either disintegrated by time or on its way there. I reasoned that a complete rebuild wasn't going to be a bad thing. I was surprised and delighted to find my local parts store had a rebuild kit on the shelf. That is after being jerked around in the usual ebay bullshit for a couple of weeks. I also bored out the throttle shaft holes in the housing and pressed in new bushings. I also made a new throttle shaft out of bronze (had it lying around) because one wasn't included in the kit. Here's the finished product:
If you hadn't noticed I did paint the whole thing red too!

The Fuel Pump and Strainer
I had taken a picture of those two bits together to make sure I'd put it all back together the same way once I was done refurbishing them.
I've a slight problem with the fuel pump though, the rebuild kit hasn't been made for 25+ years and the diaphragm of my fuel pump is cooked. I've sent out feelers to different rubber product suppliers to see if I can buy the material and make my own diaphragm... time will tell. In the mean time I refurbished the strainer assembly, acid dip for the aluminium part and cleaning, buffing, etc... for the rest and here's the result.
 In the near future there's no need to wonder what I'll be doing when obligations are taken care of... I'll be returning my 1947 Wisconsin engine back to it's former glory. More to follow.

No comments: